Poison prevention tips for seniors
Medication is the cause of nearly half of all poisonings in seniors. Take these precautions:
- Make sure you understand how to use and store your medications. If you have questions, ask your pharmacist.
- Make a list of all prescription and over-the-counter medications you take. Include the dosages. Share this with all of your doctors.
- Always use the same pharmacy to fill your prescriptions.
- Each time you get a prescription filled, double-check it to make sure you received the correct medication and dose.
- Keep your medications in their original containers.
- Don't take medications in the dark.
- Try to follow a regular schedule for taking medications.
- Read labels carefully.
- Never take someone else’s medication.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking vitamins or herbal products.
24-hour Poison Control Center hotline: 1-800-222-1222