Highest level of care
The emergency department at The University of Kansas Hospital is the only nationally verified Level I trauma center in the greater Kansas City area.
Our dedicated, multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses and other staff is specially trained to provide patients with the most advanced level of emergency care possible. These professionals are often the first to provide care to people with life-threatening injuries or conditions.
Emergency department services
Our staff is always prepared to treat any injury or condition, from common to rare, minor to life-threatening.
- Trauma: This includes severed limbs, gunshot or stabbing wounds and head injuries.
- Cardiac and pulmonary: This includes heart attack, stroke, severe hypertension (high blood pressure) and respiratory failure.
- Physical injuries: Common injuries and sports injuries including broken bones, cuts, joint problems and back pain.
- Hazardous materials: Exposure to biological, chemical and nuclear materials.
- Common ailments: Treatment for conditions such as colds, flu and infections is available through our urgent care center locations and after hours through the emergency department.
- Public health issues: These include treatment for rabies, tuberculosis (TB), mumps and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Psychological and psychiatric: We offer treatment and counseling for conditions such as insomnia, bipolar disorder, physical abuse and panic attacks.
Call 911 for emergencies
Our emergency department services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have a medical emergency and need transportation to the hospital, please call 911 immediately.