The University of Kansas Health System's Health Information Management (HIM) Department is dedicated to preserving the privacy and security of patient health information and ensuring it is available for continuing care, payment, personal health needs or other uses.
Online medical record access
The easiest way to access your records is online where you can see most of your healthcare information. You may also be able to use the portal to ask your care team a question, request a prescription refill and more.
How to request records
- Request personal records
Third-party medical records request
If you are a third party, such as an insurance company, workers' compensation carrier, disability agency, attorney, etc., fill out and return the Authorization for Release of Confidential Information form.
Request billing records only
Download, print and complete the Patient-Directed Request form and return it to:
Patient Financial Services
11300 Corporate Ave., Suite 260
Lenexa, KS 66219
For questions about billing records, call 913-588-5820.
Request radiology films/images only
Download, complete and return the Authorization to Release Images (Films) for Continued Healthcare to:
The University of Kansas Health System
Department of Radiology-RIC
4000 Cambridge St., Suite BH 2360
Kansas City, KS 66160
The form can also be faxed to 913-588-6899.
For questions about radiology requests, call 913-588-6812.
Request medical records for healthcare providers
Physicians, advanced practice providers and other authorized healthcare providers can access patient records at The University of Kansas Health System in several ways:
- The health system participates in the LACIE and KHIN health information exchanges and Epic's Care Everywhere.
- EpicCare Link allows real-time access to the health system's electronic medical record for shared patients. Advanced signup is required. Contact Physician Relations for more information.
- Fax a request on office letterhead to 913-588-2495. Include the patient's name, date of birth, fax number and type of information needed.
- For after-hour emergencies, call 913-588-2454, option 1.
Request medical records for deceased patients
To obtain a copy of a deceased patient's medical record:
- The executor or administrator of the estate must complete, date, sign and return the Patient-Directed Request form. A copy of the will or court order must accompany the completed form. A copy of the death certificate also must accompany the form, unless the patient passed at The University of Kansas Hospital.
- If there is no executor or administrator of the estate named for the deceased patient and the purpose of the request is to settle personal or financial affairs, complete the Access to Medical or Financial Records for Deceased Patient with No Executor form. A copy of the death certificate must accompany this authorization form, unless the patient passed at The University of Kansas Hospital.
If you are requesting a deceased patient's records for purposes other than settling personal or financial affairs of the decedent, contact Health Information Management, 913-588-2454, option 1, or ROI@kumc.edu.
Request birth and death certificates
We cannot provide birth or death certificates. These documents must be ordered from the state of Kansas.
Kansas Department of Health and Environment Office of Vital Statistics
Curtis State Office Building
1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 120
Topeka, KS 66612-2221
Online: Visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Office of Vital Statistics for more information.
We're available to answer any questions you may have related to your medical records.
Health Information Management Department
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.