If you are enrolled in a managed care plan (HMO, PPO or POS), your treatment at The University of Kansas Health System in Kansas City may be covered by insurance. To verify if you're eligible for treatment at our health system, follow these tips.
- Before scheduling an initial appointment, call your health plan/insurance company and ask if you have access to our services.
- We encourage you to refer to Questions to Ask Your Insurance Company when speaking to your insurance provider.
If The University of Kansas Health System is not a participating provider, you may still be able to receive treatment here. Your insurance company may help with obtaining authorization. It is important to note that some benefit plans use what are referred to as "narrow" or "limited" networks. That means they narrow or limit the choices of doctors and hospitals that their customers can use. Additionally, some plans, such as HMOs, have primary care physician referral and/or other authorization guidelines. To ensure we are the best fit for your healthcare needs, speak with your insurance company.
Once you have verified The University of Kansas Health System is within your insurance network, patient access specialists will work with you to ensure you receive the full benefit from your insurance company by:
- Answering your questions about insurance verification and/or prepayment requirement
- Responding to insurer requests for additional medical information
DISCLAIMER: The University of Kansas Health System participation with any product or insurance plan is subject to change without notice. Additionally, insurance companies offer a variety of plans and may change the names and benefits at any point. Your level of coverage depends on the specific benefits outlined in your plan.
To ensure that The University of Kansas Health System and its physicians are in-network, it is your responsibility to verify that The University of Kansas Health System is a participating provider and their benefit plan allows you access the day of a visit and/or admission. Please contact your insurance plan to obtain this information.
Marketplace open enrollment
Marketplace open enrollment for 2020 insurance plans is available from Nov. 1-Dec. 15. The following Marketplace plans will be in-network at the health system:
- BCBS Kansas Solutions (Kansas residents only – excluding Johnson and Wyandotte County residents)
- Sunflower/Ambetter (Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami and Wyandotte County, Kansas residents only)
- Home State Health Plan/Ambetter (Missouri residents)
- Oscar (Residents of Wyandotte and Johnson County, Kansas, and Clay, Jackson and Platte County, Missouri, only)
If you need assistance with enrolling in an affordable health plan, our partners at Enroll365 are available to help simplify the process.