If you are enrolled in a managed care plan (HMO, PPO or POS), your treatment at The University of Kansas Health System in Kansas City may be covered by insurance. To verify if you're eligible for treatment at our health system, follow these tips.
- Before scheduling an initial appointment, call your health plan/insurance company and ask if you have access to our services.
- We encourage you to refer to questions to ask your insurance company when speaking to your insurance provider.
If The University of Kansas Health System is not a participating provider, you may still be able to receive treatment here. Your insurance company may help with obtaining authorization. It is important to note that some benefit plans use what are referred to as "narrow" or "limited" networks. That means they narrow or limit the choices of doctors and hospitals that their customers can use. Additionally, some plans, such as HMOs, have primary care physician referral and/or other authorization guidelines. To ensure we are the best fit for your healthcare needs, speak with your insurance company.
Once you have verified The University of Kansas Health System is within your insurance network, patient access specialists will work with you to ensure you receive the full benefit from your insurance company by:
- Answering your questions about insurance verification and/or prepayment requirement
- Responding to insurer requests for additional medical information
DISCLAIMER: The University of Kansas Health System's participation with any product or insurance plan is subject to change without notice. Additionally, insurance companies offer a variety of plans and may change the names and benefits at any point. Your level of coverage depends on the specific benefits outlined in your plan.
To ensure that The University of Kansas Health System and its physicians are in-network, it is your responsibility to verify that The University of Kansas Health System is a participating provider and your benefit plan allows you access the day of a visit and/or admission. Please contact your insurance plan to obtain this information.
Marketplace open enrollment
Marketplace open enrollment for 2021 insurance plans is available from Nov. 1-Dec. 15. The following Marketplace plans will be in-network at the health system:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Kansas Solutions (Kansas residents only. Not available to residents who live in Johnson and Wyandotte counties.)
- Blue KC/Blue Select (Kansas residents who live in Johnson or Wyandotte counties. Missouri residents who live in Clay, Jackson or Platte counties.)
- Sunflower/Ambetter (Kansas residents who live in Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami and Wyandotte counties)
- Oscar (Kansas residents who live in Johnson or Wyandotte counties. Missouri residents who live in Clay, Jackson or Platte counties.)
Medicare enrollment is open from Oct. 15-Dec. 7. If you need assistance with enrolling in an affordable health plan, our partners at Enroll365 are available to help simplify the process.
Are you covered by health insurance?
If you're choosing a health insurance plan at work or on your own, you may want to check the networks. Most plans offer the best coverage for doctors and hospitals that are in their networks.
That means you'll want to find each health plan's network list and search for your doctors and for The University of Kansas Health System.
Networks change from year to year, so be sure to check, even if you plan to stay in the same plan you had last year.