March 04, 2016
Kansas City, Kan. — The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at The University of Kansas Hospital was recently recertified at Level 4 designation, the industry's highest mark, by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
The center was first named Level 4 in 2012. It remains one of only two Level 4 adult comprehensive epilepsy centers in the Kansas City metro and the only such center in Kansas.
As a Level 4, the center provides
- Complex forms of intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring
- More extensive neurological, neurosurgical and neuropsychological collaboration for evaluation and treatment of each patient
- Complete evaluation for epilepsy surgery
- Broad range of surgical procedures for epilepsy surgical care, including resection, laser ablation therapy, responsive neurostimulation (Neuropace) implantation and vagus nerve stimulator implantation
- Access to clinical trials
- Comprehensive care for women with epilepsy, including preconception planning and care during pregnancy
Roughly two-thirds of patients with epilepsy can be treated successfully with a combination of medications. The remaining patients can benefit from an advanced evaluation by an epileptologist to determine if they are candidates for additional treatment options, including several available surgical procedures.
The center also focuses on research and a wide range of support services, including treatment to ease psychological, social and financial issues.
Learn more about the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.