Level I Trauma Center
The University of Kansas Health System is equipped to handle every kind of medical emergency. We house the region's most experienced nationally verified Level I Trauma Center, offering 24/7 on-site coverage by physicians board-certified in general surgery and surgical critical care.
If you have a patient in need of emergency care, please contact our transfer center by calling 877-738-7286. Our physicians are also available for consultation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All referrals require a physician-to-physician consult to discuss the condition of the patient prior to acceptance.
What sets us apart
As an academic medical center, our research leads to new techniques that improve care and recovery for patients in need of emergency services.
Our patient outcomes consistently exceed the national averages for trauma, stroke, STEMI and burn.
- Trauma – At The University of Kansas Health System, we hold dual national verification at the highest level in trauma and burn care. We specialize in high-acuity burn and trauma patients with complex, multisystem injuries. Our trauma mortality and complication rates are consistently lower than national averages and those of participants in the American College of Surgeons Trauma Quality Improvement Program.
- Stroke – Our outcomes are among the nation's best. In 2018, our patients experienced 0 infections following the insertion of a pressure-monitoring system. We had 0 complications or deaths following treatment of narrowed carotid arteries. And 80% of patients treated discharged to home after neurorehabilitation, as compared to regional and national rates of 77%.
- STEMI – Outcomes for heart attack patients at our hospital exceed the top 10% of hospitals nationally, and our patients experience fewer complications than the national average. Our mortality rate for heart attack patients is significantly lower than the national standard.
- Burn – Our burn mortality and complication rates are consistently lower than national averages. We are among only 85 burn centers nationwide to participate in the American Burn Association National Burn Repository. This allows us to benchmark our performance against other top-performing burn centers.
Emergency services resources
On this page, you'll find helpful information pertaining to emergency services. Please check back for regularly updated information.
Note: These materials will open in a separate window for easy viewing and printing.
- Burn assessment flier
- Burn center fact sheet
- Burn and wound care fact sheet
- EMS time critical guidelines
- TCD contact card
- Trauma center fact sheet
- Replantation flier
As an academic medical center, The University of Kansas Health System understands the value of continued learning. That's why we regularly provide trauma education courses throughout the year.