Make a difference in the lives of our patients by volunteering. We offer a variety of ways to volunteer at The University of Kansas Health System.
As a valued member of our team, you'll work alongside highly trained healthcare professionals. To help ensure your work is fulfilling and rewarding, we'll match your skills and interests with the needs of the health system.
- Clerical volunteers answer phones, use computers, file records and more to support a team.
- High school summer volunteers have a unique opportunity to learn how an academic medical center works. Experience is available in clinical and other areas of the health system. Applications open January 2023.
- Pastoral care volunteers visit patients and support their spiritual needs.
- PathFinder volunteers escort visitors to their destinations and deliver mail and packages to patients.
- Patient liaisons assist patients and staff within our care areas.
- Pets for Life/Pet Partners volunteers visit the health system with their therapy pets to help patients, families and employees relieve some of the stress they may feel.
- Oncology volunteers perform a variety of support functions for our cancer center locations.
- Blood and marrow transplant and CAR T-cell therapy survivors serve in mentorship roles for patients beginning these journeys.
Volunteer opportunities are available at patient care locations across the community. For details, please check the volunteer application.
To show our appreciation for volunteering your time and talents, you'll receive:
- Free parking
- A complimentary meal or refreshment voucher upon completion of volunteer shifts at locations that feature a café or Roasterie
- Branded health system shirt to wear during your volunteer shift
- Volunteer appreciation luncheon
Volunteers often find the greatest rewards are the people they meet and the friendships they forge.
How to volunteer
To become a volunteer, we require:
- COVID-19 vaccine
- Flu shot
- Completed volunteer application
- Personal interview
- A blood test to check for TB and immunity of childhood diseases (provided free of charge)
- Hospital orientation and training
We provide flexible volunteer opportunities to meet your personal scheduling needs, but please know we value the opportunity to count you as our teammate. We appreciate volunteers who seek to join our community and give of their time on an ongoing basis.
To receive additional volunteer information, please call Volunteer Services, 913-588-6560.