2 medium yams, peeled
2 to 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Chipotle chili pepper
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Herbamare or sea salt
- Cut the yams lengthwise into 1/4-inch cubed strips. I take the yam and cut it lengthwise first into 1/4-inch thick slices then cut each slice into 1/4-inch fries.
- Place the yam fries into a square baking pan and cover with water and sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp. of sea salt. Soak for about 30 minutes. This helps remove excess moisture and starch so the fries cook properly. Once soaked, drain the fries well, rinse, and pat dry using a towel. Make sure to dry them well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place yam fries onto a large cookie sheet and toss with oil, spices and salt. Spread out evenly into the baking pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully turn the fries over. Bake for another 20 minutes. Check for doneness at this time by trying one. Bake them for a few minutes longer if they are not quite done.
- Cool slightly, then serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe from “Nourishing Meals” by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre