1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (3 cups)
1/2 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups)
1 apple, sliced into matchsticks (2 cups)
1 small pomegranate
3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. honey
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (180°C) and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, juice of half the lemon, mustard, olive oil and honey and mix together. Add shredded kale and shredded red cabbage to the bowl and toss until evenly coated with dressing. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add juice from the other half of the lemon along with 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar. Add sliced apples to the bowl and stir until evenly coated. Set aside. This step will help keep the apples from oxidizing (or turning brown).
- In a separate small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1/4 tsp. salt. Add pecans to the bowl and stir until evenly coated. Spread the pecans onto the baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes. If your oven is on the hot side, check within 7 or 8 minutes to ensure pecans don’t burn.
- Add apples and the pomegranate arils to the large bowl with the shredded kale and cabbage. Once the pecans are done, add them to the bowl. Stir everything together and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Recipes from: Food Matters’ Thanksgiving e-book (2015) Ten Hearty Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes