Spring into a new season with this spicy carrot soup.
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2-3 small green onions, white and light green parts, cleaned and chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ lbs. young carrots, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1-inch piece turmeric root, peeled and grated (or ½ tsp. ground)
- Fresh pepper to taste
- 4 cups filtered water
- ¼ cup plain organic Greek yogurt or full fat coconut milk for serving
- Chopped flat leaf parsley or carrot fronds for garnish
- Melt coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sweat the green onions, garlic, minced ginger and pepper flakes for 1-2 minutes or until glossy. Do not brown or develop color.
- Add carrots, salt, cinnamon and turmeric and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are very soft, 20-25 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a high-speed blender.
- If serving cold, chill soup for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Divide soup between 4-6 bowls and place a spoonful of yogurt or drizzle of coconut milk in the center of each and finish with chopped parsley or carrot fronds and a pinch of additional salt.