September 08, 2022
This recipe is a fun take on the classic potato skins appetizer. Sweet potato is the star of the show with the zing of hot sauce and the spiciness of chili and garlic complementing the potato's natural sweetness. Topped with cheesy goodness, our loaded sweet potato bites will not disappoint!
Fun food fact: The recipe uses Kosher salt instead of table salt. Why? Kosher salt is a coarse, flat grained salt. When used in cooking, the wider grains enhance foods more gently than table salt. This alleviates the salty flavor allowing all the ingredient flavors to shine.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Monterrey jack and cheddar shredded cheese mixture
- 3 green onions
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, F.
- Wash your sweet potatoes then cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Place the slices in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1½ tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Stir to thoroughly coat both sides of all slices.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, taking care that the rounds do not overlap (if possible).
- Bake 10 minutes on one side, then remove from the oven, flip all rounds, and bake another 10 minutes until soft.