By using cashews in place of the traditional ingredients of cream and milk, this chowder has a slightly different – and delicious – flavor profile, perfect for cooler weather.
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1 ½ tsp. salt, divided (depending on whether broth is low-sodium and/or cashews are salted)
- 1 box (4 cups) of chicken/turkey/vegetable broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- ¾-1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup cashews (whole or chopped; salted or unsalted)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- ½ bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots or organic sweet corn (frozen or fresh)
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- On medium heat, sauté onion, garlic in 2 Tbsp. of broth and ½ tsp. salt.
- Add chicken breast and ½ tsp. salt and sauté until cooked on all exterior sides (may still be uncooked in the middle).
- In a blender or (ideally) a Magic Bullet, puree the almond milk and cashews until creamy.
- Add remainder of broth and almond/cashew blend, and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, turn to simmer, add potatoes and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, broccoli and sweet corn and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender.
- Optional: Add black pepper and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.