Enjoy a low-lactose take on the popular comfort dish.
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 16 oz. whole wheat pasta, shells or elbow, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup silken tofu, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place sweet potato and onion in a small saucepot and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring the vegetables to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook until tender.
- Strain the water from the vegetables, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Meanwhile, cook the pasta, drain and toss with butter.
- Place the vegetables, Dijon mustard, salt, cayenne pepper and tofu in a blender. Blend on high until thick and creamy. Use the reserved cooking liquid to adjust the consistency of the sauce.
- Dress the pasta with the sauce and place in a baking dish. Bake until warm, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.