1 lb. tilapia
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp. chili powder or Mexican seasoning (2 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. ground cumin)
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 taco shells or fresh gluten-free tortillas (corn, teff, rice)
1/4 -1/3 head green cabbage
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 green onion, sliced or minced
1/2-1 tsp. chopped jalapenos or 1 tsp. Serrano chili, to taste
1 Tbsp. Veganaise (dairy and egg-free mayo) or olive oil mayonnaise or organic Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds or 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional taco fillings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the tilapia under cool running water then place in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, salt, lime juice and chili powder, then pour marinade over the fish. Let stand for 10-15 minutes; the longer time will allow for increased flavor absorption.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a glass baking dish. Place the marinated tilapia in dish and cook at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until it flakes with a fork. While the fish is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until hot.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage with the remaining ingredients.
- Warm taco shells according to the directions on the package.
- Cut each hot fish fillet into 6-8 pieces and place in warmed tortilla with slaw and desired fixings.