February 04, 2021
This easy, simple, heart-healthy salad is perfect for making ahead and eating all week long.
For the salad
- 2 lbs. canned garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 lb. 8 oz. tomatoes, cored, diced to ½ in.
- 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 oz. black olives, sliced, drained
- 5 oz. scallions, trimmed, sliced to ⅛ in.
- 1 oz. parsley, minced
For the dressing
- ½ cup, 1 tsp. water
- ¾ oz. sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ oz. yellow onion, trimmed, sliced to ½ in.
- 2 Tbsp., ¾ tsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ oz. Dijon mustard
- 1⅓ tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 pinches paprika
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 g. basil, chopped
- 1 g. oregano, minced
- 1 g. parsley, minced
- Prepare the onion for the dressing. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a sheet pan coated with cooking spray, place onion in a single layer. Coat onion with cooking spray. Bake until onion is browned and tender, 10-12 minutes. Cover and keep hot until ready to use.
- Prepare the dressing. Pour boiling water over tomatoes. Soak until soft, 20-30 minutes. Cool. Do not drain. In a blender or food processor, combine tomato mixture, cooked onion, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Blend until smooth. With blender running, slowly add oil in a thin, steady stream until emulsified. Add basil, oregano and parsley. Whisk until well blended. Cover. Chill and set aside until ready to use. Whisk before using.
- Prepare the salad. Combine the ingredients and dressing. Toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
Per ½ cup serving, 71 calories, 32 calories from fat, 3.5g total fat, 220mg sodium, 7g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g sugar, 3g protein.