February 04, 2021
A heart-healthy salad recipe with an extra kick.
For the salad
- 1.5 lbs. romaine lettuce, cut to 1 in.
- 12 oz. fresh spinach, stems removed, cut to 1 in.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 19 oz. fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, diced ½ in.
- 18 oz. fresh red onions, diced ½ in.
- 13 oz. fresh green peppers, seeded, diced
- 2 oz. fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, diced to ½ in.
- 2.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 qt., 2 cups sweet chili sauce
- 1 lb. 15½ oz. sweet potato
- 1¼ tsp. salt, kosher
- 1 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
For the marinade
- 1¼ oz. jalapeno
- 1¼ oz. scallions
- ¼ cup, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp., 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp., ¾ tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. allspice, ground
- ½ tsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- Prepare the jerk marinade. In a blender or food processer, combine jalapeno, scallion, vinegar, soy sauce, extra virgin olive oil, salt, allspice, lime juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and garlic powder. Blend 2-3 minutes.
- Prepare the jerk chicken. Combine the chicken and marinade. Turn to coat. Marinate chicken in covered shallow pan or sealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, turning twice while marinating. Preheat char-grill to medium or flat-top griddle to 350 degrees F. Drain chicken and discard marinade. Cook chicken until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. and juices run clear, 4-6 minutes on each side. Cover. Keep hot until ready to use.
- Prepare the grilled red onion. Preheat char-grill or flat-top griddle to 350 degrees F. Combine red onion with 2¾ tsp. vegetable oil and 1 tsp. Montreal steak seasoning. Toss to coat. Cook onion until tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes on each side. Cover and keep warm.
- Prepare the sweet potato straws. Preheat deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees F. Cut potato slices into ⅛ in. strips. Fry strips in 8 oz. batches until browned and crisp, 1-2 minutes. Drain. Season with salt. Cool. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
- Prepare the salad by combining all remaining and cooked ingredients. Toss to coat.
Per ½-cup serving, 255 calories, 74 calories from fat, 8.26g total fat, 472mg sodium, 37g carbs, 2g fiber, 28g sugar, 9.5g protein.