February 04, 2021
With a taste of Thanksgiving all year long, try our heart-healthy, high-protein salad today.
For the salad
- 1 lb. 8 oz. kale
- 1 lb. 8 oz. spring mix lettuce
- 3 lbs. freekeh
- 2 qts. water
- 5 lbs. turkey, boneless, skin on
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp., 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1¼ tsp. salt
- 1¼ tsp. pepper
- 15 oz. dried cranberry (optional)
- 6 oz. walnuts, chopped (optional)
For the dressing
- 1⅔ cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup, 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- 2½ tsp. fresh thyme
- 2¼ cups extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the turkey. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Separate turkey into lobes. On a cooking rack, in shallow roasting pan, place lobes skin side up. Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F., 1½-2 hours. Let rest 30 minutes. Slice. Cover and keep warm until ready to use.
- Prepare the dressing. In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except oil. Blend until smooth. With blender running, slowly add oil in a thin, steady stream until emulsified. Cover. Keep chilled until ready to use. Whisk before serving.
- Prepare the lettuce. Combine kale and spring mix. Toss to mix. Chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare the freekeh. In stockpot over high heat, bring 2 qts. water to a boil. Add freekeh. Stir. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer until freekeh is tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain. Cover and keep hot until ready to use.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes to ½ in. Toss potatoes with 1 Tbsp., 1 tsp. oil, 1¼ tsp. salt and 1¼ tsp. pepper. On a sheet pan, place potatoes in a single layer. Bake, turning once, until potatoes are browned and fork-tender, 10-15 minutes. Cover and keep warm until ready to use.
- Prepare the salad. Combine all remaining and cooked or prepared ingredients. Toss to mix. Top with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts, optional. Serve immediately.
Per 32 oz. serving, 1,014 calories, 298 calories from fat, 33g total fat, 596mg sodium, 145g carbs, 28g fiber, 24g sugar, 41g protein.