August 08, 2017
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Since U.S. News & World Report began naming a "Best Hospital in Kansas City" honor in 2010, the only hospital to receive the designation is The University of Kansas Hospital. U.S. News & World Report confirmed the designation for this year as it released its 2017-18 "Best Hospital" rankings.
Similarly, in the 6 years the magazine has awarded a "Best Hospital in Kansas" honor, The University of Kansas Hospital has captured it every year. Now, it has been honored with the same designation this year.
"Our focus has always been providing the very best care to every patient. This commitment is demonstrated in our consistently excellent outcomes and continued recognition as one of the nation's leading hospitals and academic medical centers," said Bob Page, president and chief executive officer of The University of Kansas Health System. "These honors are a meaningful way to recognize our physicians, nurses and other clinicians for the excellent care they provide every day. We are incredibly honored our quality patient care, safety and service once again have been recognized as the best in the region and among the best in the country."
For 11 straight years, medical specialties at The University of Kansas Hospital have appeared in the national Top 50 rankings of specialty lists in U.S. News & World Report. More than 4,500 hospitals are evaluated, but only 146 get at least one ranking.
"When you take great care of patients with an expert and compassionate staff, honors come your way. But the reward for the entire organization comes when patients have great outcomes," said Tammy Peterman, executive vice president, chief operating officer and chief nursing officer for The University of Kansas Health System.
For the rankings, U.S. News & World Report does an extensive data-driven analysis of performance measures, including patient outcomes, nursing quality, patient safety and the range of programs offered in any one specialty. Part of the rankings also rely on a survey of physicians establishing the reputation of a medical specialty program.
The 2017-18 national rankings for The University of Kansas Hospital are:
- Cancer (#25). Cancer care made the list for the 7th year in a row.
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery (#36). This is the 11th year in a row for this program to be on the "Best Hospitals" list, an accomplishment not achieved by any other area hospital.
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (#34). This is its 7th year in a row on the list.
- Geriatrics (#18). This is the 7th time geriatrics made the list.
- Nephrology (kidney) (#46). Nephrology has been on the list 8 times.
- Neurology & Neurosurgery (#26). This specialty was listed for the 6th consecutive year.
- Pulmonology (#32). Pulmonology was ranked for the 8th year in a row.
- Urology (#17). Urology made the list for the 6th time.
In addition, Orthopedics and Diabetes & Endocrinology were listed as high performing programs.
Page said these distinctions are a tribute to the physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals, as well as every staff member.