Early Pregnancy Assessment
The University of Kansas Health System early pregnancy assessment team provides consultation, assessment and treatment for pregnant women experiencing symptoms such as spotting, bleeding and cramping during the first 18 weeks of pregnancy. We also provide care for those with a pregnancy of unknown location (ectopic or elsewhere), confirmed or threatened miscarriage, positive pregnancy test with IUD in place, positive pregnancy test after tubal ligation and other conditions.
Timely access to the care you need
The Kansas City region’s leading board-certified Ob/Gyn providers collaborate with referring providers or self-referred women seeking assessment of viable pregnancy. Requests for care are reviewed promptly by a trained clinician, with appointments readily available within 2 business days at our location in the Medical Pavilion.
Our physicians tailor your care plan to your specific symptoms. Our services are completed in less than 3 appointments, and care is resumed by your primary care physician.
- Urgent consultations for vaginal bleeding and complications in early pregnancy
- On-site transvaginal ultrasound performed by our dedicated Ob/Gyn ultrasound team
- Management of early pregnancy complications
- Treatment of miscarriage including medical management, uterine aspiration (D&C) in the office or operating room
- Grief and loss counseling
- Preconception care and pregnancy planning after an early pregnancy loss
- Postmiscarriage care and contraception
Resources are available for women and partners during and after early pregnancy loss. Your doctor may refer you to a counselor.
Partners can also have a difficult job of caring for the physical and emotional well-being of a loved one during a miscarriage while experiencing and processing a loss themselves. We can assist with finding resources for your whole family.