The University of Kansas Health System in Kansas City offers a multidisciplinary approach to gender-affirming medicine, also known as transgender medicine. While working with you on your individual transformation, our goal is to alleviate gender dysphoria or strong sense of dissatisfaction or unease. Your medical needs may require a variety of services specifically planned for you. We aim to assist all people who identify as transgender, transsexual, gender variant, gender nonconforming and gender questioning.
Treatments and services
We work closely with gender therapists in the region to provide continuity of care. Our physicians and staff can direct you toward other gender-affirming resources as well, including mental health, medical and surgical care and ancillary services, such as electrolysis and speech therapy.
Our physicians assist in nonbinary, feminizing and masculinizing transition. We also provide referrals within The University of Kansas Health System for other services you may require to reach your goals.
Our services include:
- Fertility preservation
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Managed by a team of specialized physicians, advanced practice providers and nursing teams.
- Pelvic health therapy
- Primary care
- Gender-affirming surgery
- Feminizing, also known as male-to-female (MTF): tracheal shave, breast augmentation, facial feminization, vaginoplasty and vulvoplasty.
- Masculinizing, also known as female-to-male (FTM): hysterectomy, oophorectomy, vaginectomy, chest reconstruction, metoidioplasty and phalloplasty.
- Voice therapy and vocal surgery
Why choose us
As part of the region's premier academic medical center, we provide the highest level of patient care and education based on the latest research. This approach to care gives you more options to meet your goals. We are ranked as the No. 1 hospital in Kansas City and in Kansas by U.S. News & World report. We offer:
- The most advanced, comprehensive program within 500 miles
- The largest multispecialty physician practice in Kansas City
- Board-certified, subspecialized experts in all disciplines
- Dedicated nurse program coordinators who specialize in gender-affirming care
- Physicians who are members of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health
Professionals across our health system provide health, wellness and support to the LGBTQ+ community. We tailor our services to meet your needs, from patient relations and gender-affirming medicine services to support for community awareness events.
A Leader in LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality
We have been recognized as a Leader in LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), based on the Healthcare Equality Index. Our health system is one of 496 healthcare facilities in the nation to receive Leader status.
We offer several convenient locations in the Kansas City metro area. Depending on your schedule, the purpose of your appointment and the availability of our staff, you may be asked to visit one of our alternate locations.
Lucas Wilhite chose to come to The University of Kansas Health System to have gender-affirming surgery.
Terrell Smith finally feels at home as a transgender man.