Alerts
Masks are Required

Wearing masks helps us keep each other safe. Masks are required in our facilities.

If you cannot wear a mask, contact your care team before you visit to discuss telehealth. Patients and visitors not wearing masks will not be permitted to enter.

Skip Navigation

Energy to Fight Off Stress and Counter Its Effects

Stress and nutrition go hand in hand. When we eat – or don't eat – it has a huge impact on how our mind deals with stress, and our bodies digest food differently when we're experiencing stress. Food is so important to our bodies, but we need to make sure we're getting the good parts – nutrients and vitamins – to help power the mind and body. Being mindful of what and how we eat can give our bodies a leg up in the battle against stress.

 

Nutrition

As you begin the five steps to a healthier diet, know that making a change to your diet will take practice. Don't be too hard on yourself, if you stumble.

Remember the 80/20 rule, and try to make good food choices 80% of the time. And give yourself a little wiggle room with the other 20%.

Now, let's get started.

Be mindful of your food choices, with our diet diary.

Learn the healthy food types, and add them to your meals.

Make a grocery list, with our suggested foods and ingredients.

Prepare recipes with key nutrients.

Follow our shopping tips, to get the most out of your trip to the store.

When you stumble, just remember, following these five steps will give your body the energy it needs, to quickly recover from stress. Then, get back on track, and power your mind and body, by eating the right foods.

Turning Point has helped tens of thousands. Please explore our website, for toolbox resources, and learn how to reduce stress, through healthy nutrition.

Understanding nutrition

Take the nutrition quiz

  • True – It sounds simple, but it's easy to eat so fast you forget to breathe. Take five deep breaths before you start eating to put you in a state of mindfulness and bring a sense of calm to your digestive system. This prevents eating too quickly so you know when you're full.
  • True – Sipping calming teas like tulsi, chamomile, peppermint, ginger and green tea may help ease stress and soothe digestion. Tea provides a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce/repair stress-induced damage to the body. It can also soothe gas, bloating and other digestive discomfort commonly associated with stress.

     

Nutrition toolbox

Related links