X-rays are like photographs. They use radiation to create detailed images of the body. Some exams may include fluoroscopy, which is a dynamic, live X-ray viewed on a monitor. Your care team may use X-ray images to help diagnose injuries and diseases in nearly any part of the body.
Scheduling your appointment
Before the exam
It is important to follow instructions, or we may have to schedule a new appointment.You may need to change your diet before the exam.
- You may need to remove your jewelry or any clothing with metal on it.
- Take any normal daily medicines.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled exam.
Talk with your radiology care team before your exam if you:
- Are nursing or may be pregnant
- Are allergic to any dyes or have kidney problems
- Have had an X-ray on the same part of your body before (we can compare old images to new ones)
During the exam
- You may need to change into a gown.
- You will lie on a table or stand. The technologist may position you more than once to get the images needed.
- We may place a lead apron on part of your body to protect it from the radiation.
- The technologist will leave the room when it’s time to capture the image.
- You will need to stay still. Your care team may ask you to hold your breath briefly.
- Most exams take just a few minutes. Fluoroscopy exams may take longer.
Some exams require a contrast dye to enhance the image. If your exam includes contrast, you will receive it by injection through an IV, or you may swallow it.
After the exam
You may be asked to remain in the exam area while we review your images. You may return to normal activities after your exam, unless you receive different instructions.
If you received contrast dye, it will pass through your system within 24 hours. Drink plenty of fluids to help the process.
Our radiologist will review your exam and report the results to your doctor within 24 to 48 hours. Your doctor will contact you with the results.
If you need a copy of your report or images, contact the Radiology Imaging Center at 913-588-6812.