At The University of Kansas Health System, you will receive exceptional care from the region’s premier urology providers. Our program is nationally recognized, and our highly specialized urologists are unmatched at diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the male reproductive system and the male and female urinary tract. From cancer to incontinence to kidney stones, we deliver individualized care that is unsurpassed in the Kansas City region.
We are the only hospital and academic medical center in the region offering specialists in every area of urology. Our multispecialty approach to treatment involves integrated care teams for cancer care, female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, gender affirmation surgery and more. This means our subspecialty-trained urologic experts work together with other medical and surgical specialty areas, including gynecology, geriatrics and oncology, to ensure you receive the best treatment and latest leading-edge options – even if your case is complex.
Nationally recognized urologic cancer care
The University of Kansas Cancer Center is 1 of fewer than 60 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers nationwide. Comprehensive designation is the highest level of recognition awarded by the NCI. In addition, the cancer program is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s best by U.S. News and World Report.
Urologists at The University of Kansas Health System work seamlessly with our cancer center colleagues to provide comprehensive prostate cancer care and treatment. In fact, we're the most subspecialized prostate cancer program in Kansas, Kansas City and the region.
We also have the region’s leading experts in bladder cancer and are the only urologic team in Kansas to offer every type of urinary diversion – a surgical procedure to reroute the normal flow of urine out of the body when urine flow is blocked or needs to bypass a diseased area.
An important tool that aids us in diagnosing and treating bladder cancer is blue light cystoscopy, and we are the only ones in Kansas using it. Blue light cystoscopy allows us to pinpoint and identify more bladder cancer tumors, which gives our patients a better chance at early diagnosis.
In addition, we provide complex kidney cancer care and have the only specialists in Kansas treating penile and testicular cancer.
Genitourinary cancer services:
Urology experts for all conditions
Our specialists treat a range of conditions affecting men, young and old. We have specialists in male infertility, microsurgery and men’s sexual health. We also have experts in urologic diseases of the elderly including urinary incontinence, urologic cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, sexual dysfunction and urinary tract infection.
Office-based, same-day procedures, such as micro-ultrasound guided biopsy, are available as are procedures for many conditions including enlarged prostate, incontinence and more.
We believe patients come first
Why? Because we believe in providing exceptional care. We are honored to be the only hospital ever recognized by U.S. News & World Report as the best in Kansas and in Kansas City.
Rapid access to care and multispecialty teams
We also provide rapid access for common urgent urologic conditions including telehealth cancer second opinion, kidney stones and more. Our multispecialty care teams include subspecialized providers in imaging, pathology, medical oncology and radiation oncology, among others.
Find a doctor
Doctors at The University of Kansas Health System are care providers and researchers at the forefront of new medical discoveries. From primary care to complex conditions, we offer hundreds of specialists.
Expertise in common and complex conditions
We provide access to nationally recognized specialists in every area of urology – and more. All of our urologic specialties are championed by fellowship-trained physicians, and we are the only hospital in the region with specialists in every area of urology. We provide specialists in:
Why choose us for urology
When you turn to the urology team at The University of Kansas Health System, you are turning to one of the nation’s best and the only hospital in the region to offer specialists in every area of urology. Our leaders hold national committee roles and leadership positions in premier urologic professional associations. Our program is nationally recognized and ranked No. 39 among the nation’s best in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals 2022-23. Not only do we offer access to specialists in every area of urology, but each specialty is championed by fellowship-trained physicians.
- Nationally recognized, fellowship-trained urologic cancer surgeons in Kansas City metro presently using robotics for prostate, bladder and kidney surgery.
- Fellowship-trained specialists in endoscopy for stones and minimally invasive surgery.
- Fellowship-trained subspecialist in urologic trauma and reconstruction in the Kansas City metro and the region.
- Nationally recognized, fellowship-trained subspecialist in male infertility, microsurgery and men’s sexual health in the Kansas City metro and region.
- 3 fellowship-trained specialists in female incontinence and female urologic issues in the Kansas City metro and region.
- Nationally recognized specialist in urologic diseases of the elderly.
- Multispecialty care teams that include subspecialized providers in imaging, pathology, medical oncology, radiation oncology and more.
- All options for prostate cancer management, including Retzius-sparing robotic prostatectomy.
- All options for management of renal masses, including interventional radiology.
- All options for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- One of only 42 proton centers nationwide and the first and only provider of proton therapy within 250 miles.
- Most experienced care for genetic syndromes.
- Most comprehensive and experienced care in Kansas and the region for robotics, including having the most robots.
- Multispecialty approach – integrated care teams for oncology, female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, transgender surgery.
- Rapid access for the most common urgent urologic conditions including cancer care, telehealth cancer second opinion, kidney stones.
One of the nation’s best hospitals is The University of Kansas Hospital, which is consistently ranked the No. 1 hospital in Kansas and Kansas City by U.S. News & World Report. As part of an academic medical center, our patients have access to the latest and most comprehensive diagnostic and treatment options and a continuous network of care.
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center. We are 1 of 54 NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers nationwide. Comprehensive designation is the highest level of recognition awarded by the NCI.
- Telehealth cancer second opinions, which allow patients to meet with a team of multidisciplinary cancer specialists from the comfort of your home. During the visit, patients can confirm an initial diagnosis, ask questions and explore treatment options.
- We were first in the region to open a Proton Therapy Center. Proton therapy delivers a beam of proton particles that stops at the tumor, so damage to nearby healthy tissue is minimized. This allows us to target and focus the radiation much more precisely, concentrating radiation in the tumor, where it will benefit the patient, and minimizing radiation to the surrounding healthy tissue. As a result, proton therapy may offer patients the possibility of fewer side effects and improved quality of life, both during and after treatment.
- Clinical trials for urologic cancer across all specialties at every stage of disease. Because we are an NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center we can offer patients clinical trials not available anywhere else in the region.
- Advanced robotic surgical procedures, such as the Retzius-sparing radical prostatectomy, offer a newer approach to an existing minimally invasive robotic surgery. During this advanced procedure, your surgeon approaches the prostate from below rather than above the bladder, making it possible to remove the prostate in a less invasive way. Patients regain normal function within days, rather than months.
Leading research and clinical trials
As part of one of the nation's premier academic medical centers, our care providers are committed to research and scientific discovery through the University of Kansas Medical Center. We can often include our patients in potentially lifesaving clinical trials and treatment options not available anywhere else.