Pharmacy Informatics Residency
Currently a combined PGY1/PGY2 pharmacy informatics residency, this program intends to transition to a PGY2 pharmacy informatics residency for the 2024-2025 recruitment cycle.
Residency program purpose statement
PGY2 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
The postgraduate year 2 (PGY2) informatics residency at The University of Kansas Health System builds on the foundational skills learned through a PGY1 pharmacy residency, combining clinical skills and knowledge with effective use of health information technology to positively impact the safety, quality and efficiency of pharmacy practices.
The purpose of the informatics residency program is to develop the skills and knowledge necessary for enhancing medication-use processes across the continuum of care through use of health information technology. Experiential training opportunities in informatics fundamentals, pharmacy automation, clinical decision support, data analytics, project management, end-user training and leadership and management are key components of this program.
- Length of program: 12 months (approximately July-June)
- Number of positions: 1
- Annual salary: $48,000
- Other benefits include PTO, paid holidays, health/dental/life/liability insurance
- View more information
11300 Corporate Ave.
Lenexa, KS 66219
The pharmacy informatics residency learning experience
Required learning experiences
- Informatics orientation and medication management (8 weeks)
- Epic Willow Inpatient Certification will be obtained
- Inpatient electronic health record (EHR) management (6 weeks)
- Ambulatory (EHR) management (4 weeks)
- Optional Willow Ambulatory proficiency
- Oncology and infusion services EHR management (4 weeks)
- Optional Beacon proficiency
- Clinical decision support (4 weeks)
- Informatics quality and leadership (4 weeks)
- Pharmacy informatics leadership (6 weeks)
- Lean management principles (longitudinal)
- Reporting and analytics (4 weeks)
- Elective (4-6 weeks)
- Willow Inpatient On-Call (1 week)
Elective learning experiences
- Repeating or lengthening required learning experiences
- The informatics pharmacy resident may complete the University of Kansas Teaching Certificate Program if spots are available and the resident is interested.
Opportunity to be a guest lecturer at The University of Kansas School of Pharmacy
Healthcare informatics certificate
- The informatics pharmacy resident may complete a healthcare informatics certification program, such as that offered through ASHP, during the second year of residency.
- See social media for links and dates
- PhORCAS residency program application
- Letter of intent
- Please consider describing what goal(s) you feel this particular program will help you achieve.
- Curriculum vitae
- College transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Supplemental materials
- Essay questions
- Describe how you think pharmacy informatics impacts patient care.
- Please describe one of the most challenging things you have had to overcome.
- Think of someone close to you (parent, sibling, spouse, etc.). What 3 words or phrases would they use to describe you?
- Example of a project completed on a rotation (PowerPoint, poster document)
- Application for employment
- ASHP resident-matching program registration
- All application materials must be received by the date listed on the ASHP directory.
- Must have a valid pharmacy license in the state of Kansas prior to residency start date or by July 15.
National Matching Services (NMS) code: 272520
ASHP Program Code: 62011
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.