Strains and sprains to the musculoskeletal system (bones, joints and connective tissue) are not uncommon. But the damage caused by injury, overuse or disease can create pain and swelling and can limit your mobility or flexibility. When that happens, you may need specialized care to get your body moving again as it should.
About orthopedic medicine
Our orthopedic specialists can help you get back on your feet. Many of our surgeons are board-certified, and they have also received additional advanced fellowship training in their particular areas of focus. In addition, our team can draw on the vast resources of the entire hospital – specialized imaging studies, advanced anesthesia and the broad spectrum of consulting services – if needed in the diagnosis and treatment of your condition.
Why choose us for orthopedic medicine
- Expert and personalized care. Our doctors and surgeons have more experience with complex injuries and conditions than other orthopedics programs in the region.
- The full continuum of care. Once you have been diagnosed by our doctors, you can expect to remain under their care and the care of other specialists throughout your entire treatment and rehabilitation.
- Convenient locations for office visits. The orthopedics department is located on the campus of The University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kansas, and has offices at KU MedWest in Shawnee and the Indian Creek Campus location in Overland Park.
- Fast access. Our goal is to see an athlete within the first 48 hours after an injury.
- The full range of care – from the first visit to diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and follow-up care. We offer a team of specialists in addition to the physician who sees you on your first visit.
- The highest level of care for all athletes. The same doctors who care for the Kansas City Royals and The Kansas City Chiefs will see your 8-year-old soccer player.
- A team of highly trained doctors, surgeons and staff equipped to deal with the special needs and focus of athletes.
- 6 convenient locations. The Sports Medicine and Performance Center has locations in Overland Park, Truman Sports Complex, Kansas City, Kansas, Shawnee and Lawrence, Kansas.
Recognized among the nation’s best
U.S. News & World Report recognized our program as high performing in its 2021-22 Best Hospitals report. The honor places our care among the top 10% of orthopedics programs evaluated. We are proud to provide you and your loved ones with nationally recognized care.
Orthopedic trauma care
Our team of fellowship-trained and board-certified orthopedic surgeons is experienced in emergency care and highly skilled in treating traumatic fractures, dislocations and soft tissue injuries. We treat a full spectrum of cases, from simple injuries to complex surgery.
We have access to the latest and most advanced diagnostic techniques and tools available. Through our multidisciplinary approach, we also work with physicians from other specialties within the health system, including general surgeons, trauma surgeons, plastic surgeons and rehabilitation and other medical specialists.
Orthopedic trauma care at The University of Kansas Health System is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Rehabilitation is enhanced by skilled and certified physical and occupational therapists on site in the same facility. Our goal is to get you back on your feet and in optimal condition in the least amount of time.
Orthopedic medicine services
Bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons are all connected in a way that helps our body move. The lack of movement or its restriction changes everything about how we function in our daily lives.
Sometimes our movements are restricted because of normal wear and tear on our bodies. We sit, stand, walk or run every day, and the excessive movements that accumulate over the years often cause us to require a tune-up. At times, an injury or disorder has damaged one of these vital functions, and we need therapy or surgery to heal properly.
We provide orthopedic services for:
Find a doctor
Doctors at The University of Kansas Health System are care providers and researchers at the forefront of new medical discoveries. From primary care to complex conditions, we offer hundreds of specialists.