August 01, 2023
Kansas City, Kan. — U.S. News & World Report announced its 2023-24 Best Hospitals rankings today, and for the 14th consecutive year The University of Kansas Hospital was named the Best Hospital in Kansas City. It is also the Best Hospital in Kansas for the 12th time. No other hospital has ever received these honors.
The University of Kansas Hospital is also nationally ranked among the country’s top 50 hospitals in 8 specialties. In addition, 2 specialties are ranked as high-performing, which places them among the nation’s top 10%.
U.S. News reviewed data from 4,515 hospitals to create this year’s rankings. Only 164 hospitals were recognized in one or more specialties.
U.S. News rankings were created to help patients with the most complex conditions find the most advanced care. The rankings are based on an analysis of performance measures, including patient outcomes, nursing quality and the range of programs offered in any one specialty. They are also based on program reputation.
The 2023-24 national rankings for The University of Kansas Hospital are:
- Cancer (#47). It is the 12th time this program has been recognized in the top 50 in the nation.
- Cardiology and Heart Surgery (#49). It is the 15th time this program has been recognized in the top 50 in the nation.
- Ear, Nose and Throat (#34). It’s the 13th time this program has been recognized in the top 50 in the nation.
- Geriatrics (#34). This is the 13th time geriatrics has made the list as one of the top 50 in the nation.
- Gastroenterology and GI Surgery (#34). It’s the ninth time this specialty has been ranked in the top 50 in the nation.
- Neurology and Neurosurgery (#25). This specialty was listed for the 12th consecutive year as one of the top 50 in the nation.
- Orthopedics (#43). This is the fourth time geriatrics has made the list as one of the top 50 in the nation.
- Pulmonology and Lung Surgery (#30). This specialty was ranked in the nation’s top 50 for the 14th year in a row.
“We are humbled and honored to be recognized year after year as the Best Hospital in Kansas City and Best Hospital in Kansas by U.S. News & World Report,” said Tammy Peterman, president of the Kansas City Division and executive vice president, chief operating officer and chief nursing officer of The University of Kansas Health System. “Our exceptional team comes to work every day dedicated to providing care that combines clinical expertise with compassion. We are proud of the positive impact we have on the lives of so many patients and families every year, and we are grateful U.S. News continues to recognize our hospital as one of the best places to receive care in the nation.”
“The University of Kansas Health System is committed to ensuring every resident of our city, state and region has access to the most advanced care, close to home,” said Bob Page, president and chief executive officer of The University of Kansas Health System. “We appreciate the recognition by U.S. News & World Report as the best hospital in Kansas and in Kansas City. What drives us is the difference we make to our patients and our community every day. We are grateful to those who have entrusted us with their care, and are committed to continuing to make the highest quality care available in Kansas City and beyond.”