The University of Kansas Health System is dedicated to providing a world-class patient experience for you and your family. This means we use the most advanced care and take every possible precaution while you are in our hospital to ensure the best outcome. Our physicians and staff respond promptly to your needs while always treating you, your family and guests with kindness and respect.
In fact, The University of Kansas Health System recently ranked 5th among 99 academic hospitals in quality and patient safety outcomes, earning Vizient's 2018 Bernard A. Birnbaum, MD, Quality Leadership Award. The award recognizes high performance in safety, timeliness, effectiveness, efficiency, equity and patient-centeredness. Vizient's rankings are widely respected because they are based entirely on objective data related to patient outcomes.
Discover why our focus on being a quality health system has earned us a reputation as the best hospital in the region, the state of Kansas and Kansas City.
Measuring hospital quality is no easy task. Regulating agencies in Kansas City, in Kansas and nationwide consider a number of factors when determining what makes a quality hospital. By putting patients first, we have developed reliable protocols and systems that help our health system operate at its very best. Whether you are a patient or a visitor, you can trust us to provide the most advanced care and exceptional service.
Putting your needs first
A hospital's reputation is only as good as a patient's experience. That's why our health system nurtures a service-minded culture of courtesy, kindness and exceptional care.
Every decision we make, every project we undertake, involves asking, "What's best for our patients?" Our goal is to always make you feel comfortable, safe and well-cared for.
There are many other ways we foster a service-oriented culture:
- Our volunteers often personally escort patients and their families to first-time appointments.
- Our staff members celebrate special occasions with patients, including birthdays and milestones in their treatment and recovery.
- We take patient and family needs into consideration when we design or renovate a care area.
- Current and former patients serve as advisers in specialty care areas such as cancer and cardiology.
- Members of the health system's executive team regularly go on rounds, talking with patients and their families about their care and any concerns they may have. When they hear about an issue, they meet with staff to evaluate it and find solutions. Their focus is on making improvements for that patient and for those who come to us for care in the future.
The list is endless because each one of us is committed to going above and beyond to make your stay a better one.